Isn’t your body incredible? You are working so hard growing your baby, and your body has changed in ways you never imagined. There is definitely something special about pregnancy and it deserves to be documented. So how do you plan for your maternity photography session? Here are 10 maternity photography tips.
Decide if you want studio or outdoor photos. Here are some examples of each.
2. Do it between the 28-36 weeks of pregnancy You don’t want to do it to do it too early when the bump is still small, nor do you want it too late. During week 28-36 of pregnancy is the best time to take maternity photos, as the bump has gotten really round and beautiful around this time, making it look great in photos.
3. Find a photographer that offers the type of photos you want and a portfolio that you really like.
4. Pamper yourself Get yourself pampered. Enjoy it while you can! get your nails and toes ready for the shoot. Fix your hair nicely, maybe some light curls
5. If you partner or family is joining you, make sure your outfits coordinate. Show them examples of what you want and make sure everyone is on the same page. If siblings are going to be in the photos, I recommend starting out with those images while they are fresh and more willing to participate.
6. Wear flattering outfits Outfits play an important role in maternity photography, so make sure you plan your outfits carefully before the day. Outfits that are reflective of your personality and can make you feel confident are the best choice. That being said, there are a few things worth considering. For instance, choose clothes that can accentuate your gorgeous belly, and stick to timeless style and colors to make sure there will be no regret later on. Avoid floral prints, checks, too many colors, and heavy pieces of jewelry that can take the focus away from the bump.
7. Undergarments play a big role! Wear nude-coloured underwear and tube top or bra (with detachable straps if possible).
8. Personalize it In the years to come, you’ll want to remember little things about your pregnancy, so why not incorporate them into the photos as well? If there are any particular items that have stories behind the pregnancy, bring them to the session and have them photographed with you. It could be the ultrasound images, cute baby shoes or onesies, or even decorative props such as balloons or chalkboard.
9. Get a good night’s rest the night before your session Not only will it help reduce any bags under your eyes, but you’ll feel less stressed and more calm during the shoot.
10. Now it’s time to relax, have fun, and let your photographer do the rest! Just remember to keep smiling and embrace the moment, and you will have a memorable photo shoot.